magazine article on online dating - Bergen county nj dating service
Teaneck was created on February 19, 1895 by an act of the New Jersey Legislature from portions of Englewood Township and Ridgefield Township, both of which are now defunct (despite existing municipalities with similar names), along with portions of Bogota and Leonia.
The township is bisected into north and south portions by Route 4 and east and west by the CSX Transportation River Subdivision.
Citizens of Englewood Township challenged the creation of a borough, but accepted the new municipality as a township, given its more rural character.
In 1865, Phelps arrived in Teaneck and enlarged an old farmhouse into a large Victorian mansion on the site of the present Municipal Government Complex.
Phelps' "Englewood Farm" eventually encompassed nearly 2,000 acres (8.1 km Subsequent development and house construction were focused along the perimeters of the township, with the central part of the community remaining a large property crisscrossed by roads and trails.
Governor of New Jersey George Werts signed the bill into law, and Teaneck was an independent municipality.
At its incorporation, Teaneck's population was 811. Bennett, overseer of the Phelps Estate, was selected as chairman of the first three-man Township Committee, which focused in its early years on "construction of streets and street lamps (originally gaslights), trolley lines (along De Graw Avenue), telephones and speeding traffic." The George Washington Bridge was completed in 1931, and its connection to Teaneck via Route 4 brought thousands of new home buyers.
New growth and development were spurred in the mid-19th century by the establishment of railroads throughout the area.